AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Concerns about SGT STAR

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/01/free-sgt-star-army-ignores-foia-request-artificial-intelligence-records

The Electronic Frontier Foundation has been trying to obtain more information about the US military’s use of a chatbot called SGT STAR, but so far they have drawn a blank. Bruce Wilcox is mentioned as having helped them write their official request for information in this process.

[ # 1 ]

Invoking the Freedom of Information Act for an interactive FAQ that’s publicly accessible, seems a bit unnecessary..

[ # 2 ]
Don Patrick - Feb 3, 2014:

Invoking the Freedom of Information Act for an interactive FAQ that’s publicly accessible, seems a bit unnecessary..

Perhaps, but we ~ARE~ talking about the Army here; one of the greatest bureaucracies ever devised. cheese

[ # 3 ]

Wilcox suggested we seek Sgt. Star’s input patterns (all the phrases and keywords Sgt. Star is pre-programmed to recognize)

Would they be expected to give away something like this? Surely, this is the equivalent of source code? Unless of course, the law is different in the States than back here in good old Blighty.

[ # 4 ]

Yeah, I thought that was a bit much, too. And it could well be why the article’s author hasn’t heard back from the Army yet. If it were me, I wouldn’t want to give that bit of information away. big surprise

[ # 5 ]

Assuming the chatbot is as simple as it appears, input and output patterns would pretty much be the equivalent of a printed questions and answers list, which should be on hand and is only being hidden in plain sight.
The FOI Act says people have the right to know all government information that is not solely for internal use, does not threaten national security, or breach privacy laws or trade secrets. They do however seem to be asking how exactly it ticks, which I think falls under the exemption of “trade secrets and commercial or financial information obtained from a person and privileged or confidential”, since they commissioned the chatbot from a company.

It sure would be weird if anyone could request the schematics of any robotics company working for DARPA.

[ # 6 ]

Charles Wooters presents an introduction to NextIT technology, customers and business… in the following 2011 videos:

> Chatbots 3.1 - Charles Wooters, Ph.D. - NextIT Human Emulation Technology (1of2)

> Chatbots 3.1 - Charles Wooters, Ph.D. - NextIT Human Emulation Technology (2of2)

login or register to react