AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Loebner Prize Contest entry

Tech Support | Test Run | Proof of Mailing

Loebner Prize Contest entry tech support site

http://8pla.net/support/

[ # 1 ]

Not really sure why you have posted this? Is there something to see?
Nice to see you using AIML/Alice database for your entry though.

Good old AIML eh?

[ # 2 ]
Steve Worswick - Jun 2, 2011:

Good old AIML eh?

Maybe, it’s what you don’t see. One thing you won’t see are installation disks.  And you won’t see the bot in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.  And you won’t see Windows saying you must have Administrator Rights. 

The bot just launches itself from the 8pla.net DVD automagically when it is placed in the drive.  When finished, just press a button to eject the 8pla.net DVD at your convenience. 
It’s so simple, an ELIZA chatbot with a robotic arm could do it.

[ # 3 ]
8PLA • NET - Jun 2, 2011:

It’s so simple, an ELIZA chatbot with a robotic arm could do it.

Well, at least you aren’t picking on cavemen, like some others I could mention. smile

[ # 4 ]

Hey I’m wondering… would a USB stick memory be another good way to make this work?

Peetee Le Trickfox

Raymond

[ # 5 ]

From what I understand about the “rules”, either CD/DVD or thumb/flash (USB) drive are just about the only way to submit your entry without physically being there, and that USB is the “preferred” method. Of course, I may have misinterpreted what I read, but… smile

[ # 6 ]

But gee, -What if the AI Bot sends a USB in the mail and gives you some “medical reason that he can’t be there, how would you know if Carl isn’t correct in his contention that the machine is already intelligent.

I’m joking again… for those who can’t tell…

Peetee le Trickfox

Raymond

[ # 7 ]

grin I’m officially withdrawing from any battle of wits, on the basis that I’d be bringing a pea-shooter to a bazooka fight.

[ # 8 ]
Raymond Lavas - Jun 3, 2011:

Hey I’m wondering… would a USB stick memory be another good way to make this work?

Peetee Le Trickfox

Raymond

Thank you Raymond for suggesting this is a “good way to make this work”  Apparently, which couldn’t be thoroughly researched due to the contest deadline… There may be some new bugs in Windows 7 that prevent the bot from automatically launching off a USB drive, which are not present launching the bot from a DVD.

[ # 9 ]

But gee, -What if the AI Bot sends a USB in the mail and gives you some “medical reason that he can’t be there, how would you know if Carl isn’t correct in his contention that the machine is already intelligent.

Peetee le Trickfox

Raymond

True AI could not be contained on a DVD any better than a person could be contained in a drop of water.

[ # 10 ]
Carl B - Jun 4, 2011:

Peetee le Trickfox

Raymond

True AI could not be contained on a DVD any better than a person could be contained in a drop of water .

I see true wisdom in your words Carl.
I respect that it is very likely “the truth” as opposed to “the imagined”, and what if that water drop has the combined information of the whole universe in it? We are thinking on the scale of Gaia Here.
The DVD wold just be a long and complex signature key identifying one typical roll based character. The role of the character would be, to become YOURSELF (the “Beneficiary” is what I call it) . This Bundle of continuous information will forever drift through the space-time distortions and gravity fields as “Electromagnetic signals”....ie…. Your very own telepresence.

Peetee le Trickfox

[ # 11 ]
Carl B - Jun 4, 2011:

True AI could not be contained on a DVD any better than a person could be contained in a drop of water.

A drop of water contains a person as a nucleus seed.

[ # 12 ]
8PLA • NET - Jun 4, 2011:
Carl B - Jun 4, 2011:

A drop of water contains a person as a nucleus seed.

You see…. I knew I was surrounded by geniuses in this Chat Forum…
I want to thank all of you so much for even considering the Strong AI issues. I know we are going towards “practical, or “sustainable AI” instead, This is as important as going the next step into the Singularity (a la Verge et al).

All we have as a primary tool… Math…and Philosophy of Consciousness.

Thank you all for contributing here, and my special thanks to Dave Morton for keeping us “on subject”.

Raymond
Aka
Peetee le Trickfox

[ # 13 ]
Steve Worswick - Jun 2, 2011:

Good old AIML eh?

Let’s see veteran chatbot masters put themselves to the challenge and enter next year’s Loebner Prize contest as a newbie with an all new 2012 chatbot.  Let’s see how well they do without the chatbot they built back around 2004.

You veteran chatbot masters have the advantage of having finished work on your bots years ago, while us newbies to the contest have to build new A.I. interpreters for the contest.  That’s not fair. We are more likely to leave out robot components in a new robot than you are in your old trusty bucket of bolts.

What’s the matter? (slang) ‘fraid your bot building skills got rusty on ya, or maybe ain’t no good no more?

[ # 14 ]

But why would anyone just forget all the work that they have done in order to give someone else an advantage? Would you ask David Beckham to tie his feet together, so the other teams had a better chance of winning?

It is up to each individual/team to step up to the challenge and I see no benefit in dropping the last 8 years work to start again. If other bots are not up to the task then it is the creator’s job to improve them, not to penalise the ones that work claiming it isn’t fair.

[ # 15 ]

sometimes technology has progressed that far, that it’s better to start from scratch, isn’t it?

1 2 > 
1 of 2

login or register to react