AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Let’s bet: first humanoid robot to win grand slam tennis tournament

Poll
When will humanoid robots win a grand slam tennis tournament?
Before 2020 0
Between 2020 and 2030 0
Between 2030 and 2040 1
Between 2040 and 2050 1
Between 2050 and 2060 0
After 2060 0
Never 1
Total Votes: 3
You must be a logged-in member to vote

Ever since Deep Blue won from a human player in 1997 with chess, we realized we’ll be once surpassed by computers and robots in all our skills. This raised the question:

When will humanoid robots win a grand slam tennis tournament?

Before 2020
Between 2020 and 2030
Between 2030 and 2040
Between 2040 and 2050
Between 2050 and 2060
After 2060
Never

If you include the exact year, and you win, Chatbots.org will invite you to the very next consequential tournament of soccer/football where humans are competing with humanoid robots, which will also be actual during those days.

So I’d like to hear years!

My year: 2039

p.s. did you know that programmers nowadays organise chess tournament where computers play against each other, and programmers are competing for the best algorithms?

[ # 1 ]

My vote was the 40’s, perhaps the 30’s, but to be safe I figure 40’s.

For a robot to win a game like this, it needs:

Extremely good visual recognition while coping with high speed movement, a high degree of physical dexterity and last but certainly not least, planning and decision making (which combinations of ‘muscles’ to move in what sequence and exactly what time).

[ # 2 ]

My thoughts are that, except for an exhibition game or two early on, we’ll probably not see it happen. After all, what self-respecting tennis pro would want to be publicly humiliated in that fashion? Worse yet, what if this future tennis player has the same temperament as, say Ilie Năstase? It could get REALLY ugly, REALLY fast.

[ # 3 ]

Just like Kasparov:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Blue_(chess_computer)

On February 10, 1996, Deep Blue became the first machine to win a chess game against a reigning world champion (Garry Kasparov) under regular time controls. However, Kasparov won three and drew two of the following five games, beating Deep Blue by a score of 4–2 (wins count 1 point, draws count ½ point). The match concluded on February 17, 1996.

Deep Blue was then heavily upgraded (unofficially nicknamed “Deeper Blue”)[11] and played Kasparov again in May 1997, winning the six-game rematch 3½–2½, ending on May 11. Deep Blue won the deciding game six after Kasparov made a mistake in the opening, becoming the first computer system to defeat a reigning world champion in a match under standard chess tournament time controls.

login or register to react