AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Amazon Echo - Alexa Skills Kit (ASK) - Free SDK

> Amazon Introduces the Alexa Skills Kit—A Free SDK for Developers

Developers can now create new skills and capabilities for Alexa, the brain behind Amazon Echo

> Amazon throws in $100 million, developer tools to open Echo’s Alexa ecosystem

The technology behind Amazon’s Echo is being opened up to developers and third party hardware vendors as the e-commerce giant moves to expand the Alexa ecosystem.

=> developer.amazon.com/ASK

A free SDK that lets you easily add new voice capabilities

=> The Alexa Fund

$100 million in investment to fuel voice technology innovation

=> Alexa Voice Service (AVS)

Coming Soon
Bring voice capabilities to your connected device

[ # 1 ]

Marius, No offense at all but…

... don’t we already have most of that with Google’s, Google Now technology? Most people have their phone with them so whereever they go, an answer is only a voice away. Yeah I know Amazon, Google / Android, Apple, Cortana, Echo, EmoSpark’s Cube, and Cubic and Siri etc. These devices are nice but my phone is capable of far more than the other in-home devices could ever do (at present).

Basically, if I already own / use a smart phone, why would I spend more money for another device to do the same thing that I can already do?

[ # 2 ]

1. There is no proper Google Now API, yet….

> Google Now API Opens Third-Party Support to Select Apps (Feb 2015)

2. This Amazon “Alexa Voice Service” announcement indicates it will be available for any connected device with a microphone and speaker….

> Alexa Voice Service (Jun 2015)

[ # 3 ]

1. Most people don’t need an API (most don’t even know what it is).

2. Again…why would anyone need such a service IF they currently have a Smart phone that they can carry anywhere?

Just my take. Yes, I’ve seen those cute family videos where the family acts like Alexa is better than sliced bread (except you can’t eat the Echo device).

They can make a showcase all those fancy “must have” devices to help make our living easier and more connected but the smart phone are here to stay with us for quite a while. At least until the implants arrive….

login or register to react