AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

My Introduction

Hello! New to this site. I think an introduction is in order…

I’m Noah, I’m a software developer & I’ve been playing with chatterbots since circa 2000… started with a hosted bot at RunABot, moved on to Alicebot Program D, then discovered Perl and have been programming all my bots in that language ever since.

For lack of an easily accessible AIML library in Perl, I invented RiveScript to scratch my own itch. I actually discovered this forum because I googled RiveScript and saw it was discussed once or twice on here… its site is http://www.rivescript.com/ and there are some ports to it in both Perl and Java (the Java one should be as feature-complete as the Perl one, but I’m not a full time Java tinkerer so I haven’t exactly tested it too extensively).

It’s always nice to find a thriving community of chatterbot hobbyists. smile

[ # 1 ]

Hello, Noah, and welcome to chatbots.org! smile

Well, you certainly have some fans of RiveScript here. One person who comes to mind is Tom (aka 8pla.net), who has used it for some of his works. I, personally, haven’t tried it out yet (too many irons in the fire right now), but it’s on the ToDo list.

Anyway, I hope that you enjoy your visits here, and that you find the time spent to be enlightening and helpful.

[ # 2 ]

Hi Noah, always nice to meet a fellow developer.

[ # 3 ]

Running RiveScript as a first-time contestant, I came in 17th place in the Chatterbox Challenge Contest, this year, with my chatter robot: 79b.org which scored above average in the contest! Most of the Judges gave 79b.org a high score. Although, no complaints intended against any of the judges, there was one low scoring judge who apparently was still an ELIZA critic, a trend started by the creator of ELIZA several decades ago.  In my personal opinion, I think it is a shame to effectively ban classic ELIZA responses from chatter robot contests.

RiveScript supports the option of running multiple bot brains at once, which I think is awesome!  With what I learned from building 79b.org, my second chatter robot Mizuki is a RiveScript version I built of world famous Mitsuku, based on free software published by A.L.I.C.E. foundation and additional software published by Steve Worswick.

So, I made some chatter robot history as the first to enter a chatter robot contest with RiveScript. And, for A.I. research purposes, I proved that at least most judges respect, chatter robot history, and honor the option of including classic ELIZA responses in chatter robot contests. RiveScript is being actively developed and supported!  I recommend RiveScript to any chatter robot master.

login or register to react