AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Generating a NavMesh / Point Graph for 2D Procedural Platformer Levels

Hi everyone,

I am trying to create an algorithm which handles a NavMesh / Point Graph Generation for 2D Procedural Platforms Level in Unity3D.
The reason why i say NavMesh / Point Graph is because i dont know for sure which one would be better for my 2D Procedural Platform Levels.

What i believe is that Point Graph would be better.

The major things i think i would have to face are;
- Navigating through the Platforms
- Jumping from a platform to another

I have read through the basics of Pathfinding;
- http://arongranberg.com/astar/features
- http://www.redblobgames.com/

Although i have never made a Pathfinding System and my coding skills arent all that good, but i am willing to learn. Please, if possible could you guys reply with simple English. I dont understand the complicated terms. Thanks in advance for that.

So this is what i have in mind. SInce i know how to say it in theory i dont know how to put it in code. So please, give me advises, criticisms and most of all new theories. Since i already have a working Procedural Platform Generator, I plan to work from that.
From that Point Graph, I plan to generate Points above the Platforms, on each end. So the AI knows where it can navigate.
Once it can navigation from one end of the Platform to another. Its time to implement Jumping.
So to do so, i plan to Raycast some Math Trajectories. So when the Raycast has hit the next platform ( in some way , i havent figured out exactly how ) and it needs to jump to the next platform. Then it will jump.

Some slight problems i have right now are;
- Generating the Grid to do the Pathfinding ( Main Problem )
  I know for normal Pathfinding, Normals Linear Grids are used. But i am certain that for my situation i cant use that.
  So how can i generate my Graph ?
  Please include some algorithms
- How is jumping done ? ( Major - Minor Problem )
  Am i to program some code for the computer to input some buttons so the AI will jump ?
- How can i perfectly do the Trajectories ? ( Major - Minor Problem )
- How are cost / weight calculated ? ( Minor Problem )

Thank you so much. Your help is very much appreciated.

login or register to react