AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

Classic 1966 Eliza in AIML

I for one was fascinated by the Eliza chatbot. I think it was the one bot that sparked my chatbot interest many years ago, playing on various Basic implementations, including the famous Dr. Sbaitso.

Now before I go and recreate Joseph Weizenbaum’s LISP creation in AIML, I know there are various Eliza clones out there, but I haven’t seen one that is authentic to the same 1966 code.

I found what appears to be a transcript of the original LISP code at this URL https://github.com/jeffshrager/elizagen/. I’d be keen to produce AIML from the same LISP, and have the bot behave in the exact same 1966 way.  This AIML set could enter the public domain, and used as default bots in various bot interpreter code.

Now to learn some LISP…

[ # 1 ]

Lisp is an awesome computer language to learn! For example Maxima is a computer algebra system written in LISP.  And… LISP programming language is free on Linux.

However, the original implementation of ELIZA was written in SLIP, a computer language invented by Joseph Weizenbaum.  So cloning SLIP instead of LISP produces a first generation clone.

Have you seen the documentary “Plug & Pray” with Joseph Weizenbaum?

[ # 2 ]

This seems interesting. I do hope that you’ll post back here if you succeed.

login or register to react